Tuesday, October 8, 2013

YEE HAW...

I am so excited to have a guest blogger for this post! My good friend Jana is pioneering the way for kids to experience the joys of eating REAL food! She has a knack for making it tasty, kid friendly and just plain FUN! She is knee deep in rearing her adorable girls in a world where REAL food is not the norm! I am amazed at the unique and creative ways she is navigating this complicated journey. Enjoy reading about this inspired event. I hope to include more of her fabulous ideas in future posts! Thanks Jana for sharing the fun...






This summer I decided it was time to introduce more whole foods and get rid of the processed food that has begun to fill our cupboards.  The girls were on board and excited to help in the kitchen.  Things were going great until our first bump in the road, a birthday party.  Sigh.  I LOVE parties, but if you’re a Pinterest fan, you know that every party idea (especially for kids) is bursting with loads of sugar, candy and processed food.  Well, I decided instead of trying to avoid the food, we would take it by the horns. :) My good friend (you may know her) gave me the great idea to have the girls make butter as one of the activities. I sat down with the girls and asked what they thought about having a dinner, Cowgirl Style.  They were excited to come up with the menu and were up to the challenge.  Here was the menu they came up with:  Roast, potatoes, cornbread and watermelon.  Perfect!  The party was easy and fun!  The girls made butter for their potatoes and corn bread, played horseshoes and made horse necklaces.  One of my favorite moments of the night was when I saw a little girl look down at her plate and say, “Wow, usually you just get pizza at parties!” Don’t get me wrong, I’ve served plenty of pizza at all kinds of parties around here! We are far from a fully clean diet and I have a lot to learn. But, I can’t tell you how rewarding it was to see 20 ten year olds sitting around enjoying a homemade dinner that my girls helped me make!
Next challenge.... can you throw a kids HALLOWEEN party without candy or treats?!  This could be SCARY!

No comments:

Post a Comment