Sunday, January 5, 2014

Applesauce Oatmeal Cake

I'm telling you right off...this is just a very simple, uncomplicated, humble little cake. It won't knock your socks off, it won't be the best thing you've ever eaten...but, you will enjoy it for breakfast on a cold winter morning!
I had been eyeing my pantry shelves the other morning and admiring all the things I "bottled" last summer and fall. I was casually taking inventory of the goodies I made so we'd be able to enjoy them this winter when local fruit and veggies are scarce and harder to find.
Then I realized...it's already January! It's time to dig in and enjoy the bounty!
On Christmas morning I brought out a bottle of peach pie filling and made a lovely dessert for our Christmas festivities. I was thinking it was kind of an odd choice for Christmas and peach pie isn't necessarily what I think of when I'm planning a holiday menu. But, hey...I took the care and time to preserve those juicy organic peaches last summer so we could enjoy them in the dead of winter! Nobody felt inclined to point out that a peach pie was a random choice for Christmas Day. Instead they just ate it!
I opened a bottle of applesauce to share with one of the Sprouts. She decided she wasn't overly interested in it after eating a spoonful or two. She preferred the fresh scrambled eggs that morning. So, I decided I should make something with my lovely bottle of applesauce and decided on this filling and simple cake.



You start by cooking the oats with the water and applesauce...

APPLESAUCE OATMEAL CAKE

Preheat oven to 350F degrees

Grease a 9 X 13 pan

1 cup of old-fashioned organic oats

1 and 1/2 cups of applesauce

3/4 cups of water

1 stick of salted butter

1 cup of packed brown sugar

1 cup of pure cane sugar

2 eggs

1/2 tsp. of almond extract (or, 1 tsp. of vanilla if you prefer, instead of almond)

1 cup organic unbleached flour

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. soda

Cook the oats with the water and applesauce. Follow the package directions for oatmeal cooking time.

Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.

Add eggs and almond extract and continue to mix until well beaten.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.

Add dry mixture and applesauce oatmeal mixture to creamed mixture and gently mix together.

Bake for 30 minutes or until a  toothpick or knife comes out clean.

I dusted with powdered sugar after it cooled slightly.





I enjoyed it for breakfast with a hot cup of joe! It was quite hearty and satisfying...especially because I used my prized applesauce ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment