Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Square Foot Gardening Method...Chapter 3

I'm still "high" on all things square foot garden! I had a completely different topic for my next blog post and instead I just have to share more square foot gardening fun...




It's NO secret how I feel about this gardening method and how much I LOVE it! Here is a big reason... The radishes, lettuce and garlic are already growing...Yes, I know they are teeny...but, we just planted them a couple weeks ago! Amazing...What a fun surprise to be greeted by these delicate little green miracles. It never gets old! (kind of like gathering the chicken eggs each night)...
This made us excited to do another section of our new square foot garden. The work in progress garden! We have many fun plans for this area but it will take some time. We have a few things to still work out. A new sprinkler system for this part of the yard is one of them. Right now we have those big ole Rainbirds that are great for covering lots of area with lots of high pressure water. We aren't exactly sure what we are going to do at this point. So far, our mild wet weather is taking care of the watering for us.
I was getting antsy to plant some peas! It was threatening to rain a couple days ago and I thought it was perfect timing to get those peas in! Of course the pea patch hadn't been constructed yet and I didn't have any peas leftover from last year. When I ran all this by Hubs he gave me a "pained" expression but totally got on board!




He knocked out this garden box in record time! I ran to the nursery to purchase some local, GMO free, organic and heirloom variety peas! A chilly breeze was picking up and the gray clouds were looming while we were finishing up the planting box.


Isn't it pretty??? And, tidy and amazing??? I got the peas planted with stiff, frozen fingers just as the storm was hovering over us! Now, you may not believe this but we got all of this finished in about 2 hours! Wait...have I mentioned how much I love this method of gardening?!? Shortly after the rain began to fall. I sat in the house and smiled and pictured those little peas getting their first thirsty drink in that dark fertile soil.
The next day the sun came out. I went out to admire our handiwork...um...



NEVER trust a chicken! Can you see where they poked their feathery little heads through the fence? Where they plucked out some peas in our first row of plantings? Sheesh...we figured they might snag a few tasty pea tendrils as they started to attach themselves up the fence...but, I really didn't think they'd come along and steal my new plantings....Oh well...live and learn! You never know what to expect in a garden or what predators lurk in the shadows...I just never expected it to be our own well fed fat chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment