Wednesday, January 20, 2016

German Pancakes...Winter Comfort Food...

We are knee deep in winter over here. It's been downright bone chilling for several weeks now. I feel like hibernating and think that is what Mother Nature actually intended! I want to wear fuzzy socks and long johns.
Oh, I've drug myself out into the elements several times. Living in this hemisphere in the winter you just have to. Once I get out into the beautiful snowy mountains I feel great...and then, I go home and put on my fuzzy socks and hide under a blanket.
My daughter suggested we try a 10 day metabolic detox this winter. I'm not much of one for the cleanse of the month or juice diet of the week...but, we live in an area that the cold air traps a lot of pollution during the winter and it is terribly unhealthy at times...think China...
Getting up above the smog and into the mountains is a must. For your mental health as much as your physical health. This year hasn't been as bad as usual. We have had storm after storm come through and cleanse the air. It makes a huge difference!
Still, a little metabolic detoxing can't hurt! Right?!
So, I'm right in the thick of this cleanse. Day 4 to be exact. I'm planning on going the distance and I don't feel hungry at all...but, I can't lie...I'm dreaming of two things...Coffee and German pancakes!
Winter comfort food at its best. The day after the cleanse I plan to make myself a creamy cafe au lait and a big ole plate of German pancake. Of course I will use whole organic milk and coffee and a bit of organic brown sugar for my steamy java and I seriously can't wait!
I love this pancake recipe for several reasons. For one thing, it's super easy! Then, I always have the ingredients on hand and it is relatively low in sugar and flour. For us chicken farmers we always have eggs in the fridge or in the coop ready to be collected. And, last but certainly not least, the Sprouts love nothing more than to crack eggs open! This is the perfect recipe to entertain those little busy hands.

Super Quick and Easy German Pancakes

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

Throw the following ingredients into your blender:

6 eggs
1 cup whole organic milk
1 cup organic unbleached flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Blend it all up until just frothy.

Pour into a 9 X 13 pan that has 2 tablespoons melted butter and bake for 20 minutes.



Always blessed with such beautiful eggs!


It's fun for the Sprouts to peek through the oven window and see it puff up.



I sprinkled a bit of organic powdered sugar on this one. It was a special occasion! So pretty when you spring it from the oven.

Feel free to slather some grass-fed butter on top!


We doused it with organic maple syrup AND homemade peach butter! Yep...it's true!


Just a side note...we didn't have a great peach crop this year. A brutal hail storm took it's toll on the beautiful fuzzy peaches. I was gifted a box of local organic peaches. Kind of like getting a shipment of gold! I wanted to make the best use of them and honestly we ate most of them fresh. But...on a whim I decided to make some peach butter. Holy Cow...it far exceeded my expectation! It is outrageous! This really is comfort food at its finest...

If you are looking for me next Tuesday...I will be sitting at my kitchen table with a large cup of creamy Joe and a big ole plate of German Pancake!

No comments:

Post a Comment