Friday, September 27, 2013

Acupuncture...

I am a HUGE fan of integrative medicine and alternative options for health and wellness. I think it goes hand in hand with eating a cleaner, healthier diet. Don't get me wrong...Western Medicine has its place and offers many life saving procedures and treatments. But, it lacks an important component. Good nutrition! It's no secret that our Western diet is the cause of most of the chronic and debilitating illnesses many people face. I strongly believe in "an ounce of prevention"! Feeding our bodies with fresh unprocessed foods is a great starting point for good health and preventing disease.
One of my favorite integrative options is acupuncture and Traditional Oriental Medicine. Not only is it effective for chronic and acute conditions, it works with the body to prevent sickness and disease.
A good time for preventative acupuncture is when the seasons are changing. The philosophies of Oriental Medicine are complicated for the lay person and most practitioners have many years of schooling and intense training. This form of medicine is thousands of years old and has an amazing and lasting track record.
One of my favorite things about TOM is using food as medicine. Diet is an important part of diagnosing and treatment. Often, food is used as the first "medicinal" course of action and it takes into account the different seasons and weather conditions.
I have been receiving acupuncture for many years and have had good success with most everything I have been treated for. I highly recommend a balancing treatment this time of year as we enter into the fall season.
One of my first experiences with acupuncture was when I broke my foot on Christmas Day several years ago. How lame is that??? I had to stay off my sad, broken foot for several weeks and was frustrated with the healing process. Shortly after I had my cast removed I went for acupuncture. My foot was still sore and painful to put weight on. I was concerned about having lasting issues with pain and swelling in the area the broken bones were. I had an acupuncture treatment specific for my foot and getting blood flow into the area that was healing. The first treatment had a huge effect on the healing of my foot and the pain level and swelling were almost 100% alleviated. I was hooked!
People often ask me what conditions can be helped with acupuncture and Chinese herbs. I personally think just about any condition can be helped! Some health issues have had proven and long term success with acupuncture and many studies are available to back up these claims. A few of the most common conditions successfully treated with this method are:
Women's health issues in all age groups
Infertility
Depression and Anxiety
Back pain
Acute conditions and injuries
Bell's Palsy
Dizziness and vertigo
Of course this is just a sampling of what TOM and acupuncture can effectively treat. As with any method of healing or preventive medicine you need to be an active participant! Making lifestyle changes, taking necessary supplements, exercise, rest and healthful eating should always be part of your treatment plan.
Please note that I have had NO training in acupuncture or TOM. I am just a satisfied recipient.
Another question I'm frequently asked..."does it hurt"? Rarely does it hurt in my experience. Occasionally there are points more sensitive than others. In that case, your acupuncturist will inform you and make sure the discomfort is minimal. It does NOT feel like a hypodermic needle in any way. It isn't even comparable to that. Most people, including myself, find the treatment very relaxing and enjoyable.
Today I went for a nice "autumn" balancing treatment. It lasted about an hour from start to finish.


See the tiny blue needle tips? The needles are so thin they are almost impossible to see without the colored tops.



The needles are placed based on what your ailment is at this particular time. The practitioner will most likely feel your pulse on both wrists and look at your tongue as well. Today she was kind enough to take these pics for me after placing the needles. :)

After all the needles were in the proper points, the warm and comforting heat lamp was placed near my feet. The lights were turned down, soft music was turned on and I promptly snoozed!

Our Sprouts occasionally have acupuncture treatments as well.


This little dolly was under the weather and needed a boost to get well quickly. Looks like she got the red tipped needles!

So...am I recommending TOM and acupuncture? Absolutely! But...I also came home and ate some delectable and nutritious seasonal squash! I'm recommending that as well...






1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I get you. Some people just want certain things done more naturally. And the demographics is growing. Proof is that even kids are exposed to acupuncture at an early age. Cheers to your little girl for being brave to handle all those needles! :D Yevette@USHealthWorks.com/Modesto-II-Center.html

    ReplyDelete