Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Upcycling...


up·cy·cle
ˈəpˌsīkəl/
verb
gerund or present participle: upcycling
  1. 1.
    reuse (discarded objects or material) in such a way as to create a product of a higher quality or value than the original.
    "the opportunity to upcycle trash, or turn it into new products, was vast"

    (courtesy of Google)



    I've pretty much decided there is enough stuff in the world! Oh sure, occasionally you have to purchase new items. I'm not really into recycled shoes or underwear. But, otherwise...I'm willing to look at recycled goods and find ways to upcycle things I may be in the market for.
    For several years I have purchased all kinds of glassware at thrift stores. I see no reason to pay full price for new glass pie plates or baking dishes when I can find oodles of them at yard sales or thrift stores for next to nothing.
    In the market for vases? Looking for dinnerware for a theme party? Need props for a birthday shindig? Hit the nearest thrift store! I'm amazed at what I can find and reuse. Not only do I love the savings but I feel good about giving something a new home and purpose!
    I don't buy stuff just for the thrill of it...although, it can be thrilling!...I buy stuff that I actually need or would be looking for in a regular retail outlet.
    I found a sturdy wooden play table as well as a like-new play kitchen for the Sprouts at two different thrift stores. I paid ten bucks a piece! Booyah...
    A couple years ago Hubs decided we should have an outdoor kitchen area?!? Okay, we love our backyard and spend a lot of time in it. We also have a super nice gently used gas barbecue he found in the nickel ads. It is a spendy name brand with all the bells and whistles and he got it for next to nothing! I think he had to buy a $15.00 part from the manufacturer to get it in complete working order. He also plumbed it with natural gas from the line that runs into our home. I have to tell you...it's pretty sweet! Anyway...when he came up with the idea for the outdoor kitchen I was totally on board.
    Once again he was snooping out the nickel ads for ideas. He found a complete kitchen set of vintage metal cabinets. I won't lie...I didn't completely see his vision when he hooked up the trailer and decided to drive 50 miles to go take a look at them. I wasn't completely sure I saw the vision when he came home with dirty, rusty metal vintage cabinets, a grungy yellow Formica counter top and a paint splattered grimy old stainless steal sink. That being said, I just stayed out of the garage and let him "do his thing"! He's actually kind of handy and clever in his way ;)


    He cleaned and scrubbed and scraped off the rust. He found some cans of spray paint in the garage.


    At this point I decided to have a look/see...hmmm....not bad!


    He used a silver metallic spray paint along the bottom and the bright orange on everything else.


    I ended up loving the funky vintage yellow counter top and it was in surprisingly good shape! Hubs figured out where he wanted them installed on the patio. They are actually right next to the upscale (and super cheap) barbecue. The sink cleaned up like new as well. He made sure the sink was where he could actually hook it up to the culinary water. Voila! Hot and cold running H20.


    Shiny!


    Yeah, it's spectacular! We use it all the time. Not only is it great for entertaining but the sink is so handy to have outside. I end up washing a lot of fruits and vegetables freshly picked at the local farms. It's nice to wash up the Sprouts after they play in the yard and chase the chickens. I LOVE how it looks. Oh...did I mention he paid $120.00 for the whole set-up??? It came out of an old church basement kitchen. It makes me smile every time I look at it!


No comments:

Post a Comment