Tuesday, December 17, 2013

How To Make Cheese Crackers!...

Holiday merriment is in full swing. Or, possibly holiday stress and dread is in full swing! Either way, it's inevitable that December 25th will a make an appearance...
I wish I could say I get all giddy during the Holidays...I don't...Years of working in retail management squeezed the Holiday right out of me.
The upside...I don't get stressed over the impending festivities. What little shopping I do is from the comfort and warmth of my own computer. Wrapped in a warm blanket, wearing nubby socks and drinking green jasmine tea is my way of taking on the task. I enjoy the UPS or FedEx workers dropping packages at my front door. I don't miss the frenzied shoppers and short-tempers permeating the mall halls and shops. I don't miss frazzled sales associates doing their best and trying to keep their mouths shut when being berated by someone who can't understand why the doll or outfit or perfect color is already sold out for the season. Somewhere along the way the "reason for the season" got lost in the fray. At least for me...
This year, the cookie baking party was one of the highlights of the season. I DO love party planning anytime of the year! Nothing more warm and fuzzy than a kitchen full of little sweethearts rolling dough and sticking teeny fingers in a bowl full of frosting.
I am attending a few festive gatherings with close friends and family. Such fun to get together and catch up with good people.
Saturday night I went to one such get-together with a group of 8 women that I golf with. We met years ago golfing on a local ladies league and have stayed in touch ever since. These women are fabulous friends and this party is highly anticipated each December. It includes good food, good fun, good beverages and good conversation. It always lives up to expectation...this year was no different. I did have a hard time deciding what to bring. One of the gals mentioned she was making soup...aha! I decided I would make homemade crackers to compliment her delicious cauliflower, bean and bacon soup. She promised she would share her recipe with me!
I'm still searching and learning how to make better quality food and have found that making things from scratch is a must. When I can source my ingredients, choose organic and GMO free as often as possible and use meat and dairy with no added hormones or antibiotics I feel good about the finished product. I make it...I know what's in it!


I was so happy with how these crunchy little crackers turned out! I used the small tree cookie cutter I had hiding in my cupboard. They are really crispy and flakey and cheesy. I plan to search out some fun cookie cutters for future baking. A goldfish cutter would be adorable!

Please don't be intimidated to make your own food! It's really very easy and takes less time than I would have thought.




Cheesy Crackers :)

3 TBSP cold butter

1 1/2 cups organic all-purpose flour

1 tsp. dry mustard powder

1 tsp. of ground pepper

1 tsp. salt

6 oz. of good grated Cheddar cheese

2 tsp. organic distilled white vinegar

ice cube

Combine the dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk together. Cut the butter into 1" squares and add to the mixture. Mix on low speed until crumbly and the butter is incorporated. Add the shredded cheese and mix on low for a few more seconds.

In a liquid measure combine 3/4 cup of water, the vinegar and the ice cube and let sit for a couple of minutes. Start by adding 6 TBSP. of the liquid to the dough and mix on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Continue to add liquid 1 TBSP at a time until it forms a ball around the beater. Form a dough ball and wrap in plastic wrap for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Remove dough from fridge 15 minutes before rolling. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place parchment paper on 2 large baking sheets. Roll dough on a floured surface to 1/8" - 1/4" in thickness. Cut with cookie cutters of your choice. Place on parchment lined baking sheets and place in oven. (optional...lightly sprinkle with salt)  Set timer for 15 minutes and rotate pans. Set time for addition 10 -15 minutes, watching closely until the edges are lightly brown. Turn off oven leaving crackers inside as the oven cools down and for at least an hour.

note: I tried one buttered cookie sheet and one with parchment paper! I liked the parchment results the best!

It's incredibly satisfying to make your own crackers! Ha...seriously...we loved them. I can't wait to make up another batch with the Sprouts!

Hoping you can find ways to enjoy a peaceful and meaningful holiday season. Stress free of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment