Saturday, August 31, 2013

Peach Salsa

Yup...it's that time of year...when the tomatoes and the peaches sync up with each other. I wait all year for peach salsa season.
For the last several years our wonderful local farmer has made fresh peach salsa every Friday and sold it at his farm stand. It is such a treat. We have arrived early on Friday mornings to make sure we get some of this legendary local salsa. I get giddy at the sight of the big ice chest with the little handwritten sign that says "fresh peach salsa".
I was away at the farm mob on the Friday it first showed up. When I made it home late on Sunday night I noticed a little container on the shelf in the fridge. It wasn't a full container. It wasn't a half-full container. There was actually just sort of a bit of peach salsa residue floating on the bottom of the container. It was clear I would have to wait until the next Fridays delivery for my first helping of the year.
I headed up bright and early on the following Friday, hopped out of my car and headed under the farm stand tent. The nice kid that works there greeted me with a smile...(I'm a regular you know!) I looked around for the giant blue cooler...I didn't see it. I thought maybe they were a bit behind on the delivery. I snooped around at some of the other goodies and picked up my CSA bag. Still no cooler...I was getting a bit worried...I asked the friendly farm hand when the peach salsa would be making its debut.
He motioned me over to the corner of the tent and said there would be no peach salsa today. What??? Noooo! Why not? In a discreet voice he told me that the "salsa cops" (my terminology) had busted them that morning. Seriously??? You have no idea how upsetting this was! I'm still ranting about it 3 weeks later. Please! This is a local farm stand. I am choosing to shop here. I am willing to take my chances on the farmers salsa! I don't care about where or how he makes it! I am willing to "risk" eating his homemade salsa! This happened on the day after I read this article in the newspaper...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/15/texas-swat-team-conducts-_n_3764951.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

After the big salsa bust of 2013 the farmer loaded the big cooler back on his truck and left! I seriously felt like crying...I still kind of do :(

I want his salsa...I want to drive to the farm stand tent early on Friday mornings and open the lid on the cooler and get my container of peach salsa. I feel it is my right to do this! Please Salsa Cop...don't protect me from myself! I'm having such a hard time understanding why I can walk down the street from the farm stand and enter the 7-11 and buy a rancid and very nasty hot dog but I can't buy my beloved peach salsa...I don't want to hear about any dopey rules and regulations. I don't care...I want my salsa back!!!

Well...if or until my right to eat fresh and delicious homegrown and locally made salsa is re-instated this is what the farmer has decided to do...he has packaged up a little bag of the ingredients (with the same hands that made the salsa) and typed up the recipe and included it in the bag. We made it today. It's delicious but honestly it isn't as delicious as his...(maybe he left out a couple of his secret ingredients or maybe he is just a pro at it). Either way, I will support him and buy the little bag of salsa builders as often as he has them. ( sniff sniff...shedding a tear as I type this)




The contents of the "build your own salsa " bag...


I just had to show you this picture...Hubs and I decided it was time to invest in a new food processor! You know...not "processed food"! This is its maiden voyage!


Whoops...this is a random picture I posted in error...but, isn't it gorgeous? Goodies handed over the fence by my awesome neighbor Adam...fresh from his impressive garden!



Fresh peach salsa...amazing...just not quite as amazing as my farmer friend makes it...

Peach Salsa

Dice 3 or 4 medium sized tomatoes, 1 medium peach, 1 small red onion and either 1 green chili or 1 jalapeno. (green for mild, jalapeno for hot)
Crush 1 clove of garlic and chop a few sprigs of cilantro. Add 1 tsp. of local raw honey and 1 tsp. of apple cider vinegar. Stir well. Chill for one hour. (can also use a food processor)...
Great over grilled chicken, seafood or with corn chips...Enjoy!


1 comment: