Friday, August 9, 2013

Farm Mob...

Farm Mob!? Have you heard the term before? I have just recently been introduced to it. I thought maybe I was a bit behind the times. I went to do a Google search and/or find a dictionary definition. I wanted to post something official here. Something that would help explain it better than I would.
Maybe I'm not as behind the times as I thought. I couldn't find a meaning or a definition for it. I did find a "crop mob" which seems to be about the same thing. Although, there was not much info regarding a crop mob either!
So...I will do my best. A farm mob happens when a local farmer puts out a call for volunteer help. It might be in the spring when they need some extra help planting their veggies and fruits. It may be when they have a big harvest coming up. The local farmer is really wanting to be successful and provide his wonderful bounty to his community. The local farm mobbers really want the farmer to be successful so they can enjoy his wonderful bounty!
Locally we have a few organizations that help these small growers. They put out the word via Facebook or emails to interested parties. One of the organic farmers in a nearby city needed the springtime help. Another recently harvested a field of fragrant and marvelous garlic. Usually the farmer will provide lunch or recommend a potluck meal for the volunteers.
I have considered doing one of these farm mobs but never got around to it. Until...now!
Tomorrow I am leaving to go help at an incredible farm about 5 hours from my home. I visited this farm this summer on a short weekend trip with Hubs. This amazing little farm is a "no-harm" organic farm. This little farm supplies the ingredients for an amazing restaurant. Between the farm and the restaurant it employees and feeds most of this tiny town. The farm sits on about six acres of land in a pristine and surreal setting.
I'm not sure what farm work we will be doing at this point. I'm kind of hoping there will be some weeding involved. I love to sit in the dirt and weed around thriving, growing plants and flowers. The farm is completely hand weeded as it fits with their principles of "no-harm". Whatever job I am given I am feeling grateful for the opportunity. I am excited to learn more about organic farming and see the methods they are successfully using.
Whereas many of the above mentioned mobs have included a tasty farm lunch, this weekend we will be provided with six squares! I can't lie...I'm also going for the food!!! Hubs and I ate at the restaurant when we visited and it's been calling to me ever since. This kind of food really does feed your body as well as your soul. I feel it when I eat it and savor each lovingly grown bite.
It's true...I will work for food! And, I can't wait...
I will also be camping out at this farm and won't have phone, wifi or Internet service. I will be sleeping in a tent and dipping in a pond...and dreaming of the next beautiful thing they will feed us.

And, in another town there is a little girl who likes to go to her urban garden plot and pull up carrots with her daddy...


( The Sprout and her Daddy were feeling a bit under the weather...pretty sure a good homegrown carrot cures just about everything!)

No comments:

Post a Comment