Monday, August 12, 2013

The Mob...

Day 1

I anticipated writing about my farm mob experience last night when I arrived back home. I guess I should have realized I would possibly need a day to recover! It wasn't just recovering physically. Yes, I did need some physical recovery time ;)...but, I needed some time to process the experience. This included assimilating all the new and fascinating information I heard, coming down a bit from being in such magnificent beauty and replaying all the profound and meaningful conversation I was involved in with friends old and new. I even needed to go through a short mourning period of realizing it will be a little while before I eat the delectable food served at Hell's Backbone Grill...

Friday morning arrived all bright and shiny and warm. Hubs packed up the car with a cooler filled with water, iced coffee and several beverages. He had already loaded my tent, backpacking air mattress and a sleeping bag. I don't honestly think the sleeping bag had been used in more than a half dozen years. I added my pillow and backpack to the car and off we went. Hubs had agreed to drive me to my mob mates place and help me load all this gear into her perfectly outfitted truck.

I was kind of bummed that Hubs couldn't make it this trip, but the farm gods were smiling upon me and hooked me up with my 2nd choice! Amazing and competent camper Hilary was willing and able to go! There are so many reasons this was awesome. The BIG one for me was that Hilary was schooled in the art of tent set-up! ( Of course I'm kind of kidding...Hilary's talents go way beyond this!)

We left the big city and headed out on the I-15...After a couple of hours we made a turn off and landed on a scenic byway. One of the reasons this is such a great destination is because of the unbelievable and ever changing scenery. All total it takes about 5 hours to get to the farm. Taking this amazing route goes quickly and fills you with a sense of unparalleled beauty and gratefulness for the planet we live on.

I especially enjoyed all the photo ops and sharing Hilary's excitement of hopping out of the truck and running to take a picture! Big sky and mountains, pine trees and aspen, a herd of buffalo big and small.
Red rock and Mars landscaping and white rock and lunaresque (maybe not a word, but you get the idea!) formations...bliss...

After driving down a winding gravel road surrounded by rock configurations, mountains and pastures filled with horses and llamas and bulls and cows we arrived at the farm.


I mean seriously...can you believe this place??? It really does exist and if you don't think so, you can go visit it yourself!


Yes people! It really is this outrageous! (Hilary shared these pics with me. She is a better photog than I am)...

We wanted to get to the farm and set-up my campsite before dark...um, and before DINNER!



OMG...look at these guys! We encountered them on the road to our campsite. They were total newbies! Just being weened from milk bottles. They got to wander around the farm the next day quite a bit. They were a total hit! Everybody was in love with them. Can't lie...I'm in love with goats. Why? I have no idea! I just can't get them out of my head!


The camping area is on a hillside of sand and junipers and sage brush...(there were some ants, too)
This is my tent. I really did as I was instructed by Hilary. Pretty much just stand back and let her get it done! ;) I was pretty excited thinking about sleeping in it...all by myself...on the hill...with no one around...I think I was excited...

After it was all ready, we freshened up and headed back out of the farm and to the restaurant. We were meeting others that were participating in the mob. We weren't sure quite what to expect other than the ridiculous meal we knew we would be getting! Farm to table! Us and the food!

They were expecting around 15 people for dinner. We walked in and were warmly and sincerely greeted by the owner and visionary of this amazing restaurant and farm. She was amicably chatting with a husband and wife and their 17 year old son. (Also there for the farm mob). When word was given that the others were running late and may not be able to attend dinner, we were seated at a dining table. Thus began an evening of culinary delights, new friends, stimulating conversation and FUN! Seriously...a feast for the body and the mind.


A light refreshing quinoa salad with fresh farm goodies...fruits and nuts and recently picked broccoli! (Didn't know it then, but weeding the broccoli patch was in our future!) Yes, you can tell it's awesome from the picture. I'm sorry you can't taste and smell this. I'm sorry you weren't there to ooh and aah over this like we all did. No, I wasn't the only one taking pictures of my food...

We were offered our choice of two outstanding entrees. Hilary suggested we get one of each and share. No arm twisting necessary!


This was a vegetarian option. Stuffed squash. I have to be honest. I'm not even sure at this point what it was stuffed with. I do know it was excellent. It's pretty to look at as well!



Some sort of beef brisket on top of a silky polenta with fresh picked beans. I can honestly say it was the best polenta I've ever eaten. It was smooth and creamy and buttery and melty in your mouth. I wish I could tell you what exactly was in all the dishes we consumed. My senses were just completely in overload. I was savoring every bite and trying to make a memory of it in my head and at the same time trying to hear every wonderful word being spoken at the table!


Yeah, if that wasn't enough, we were served warm bread pudding with dried cherries and fruits and nuts and a buttery sugary component at the bottom of the bowl. It was topped with freshly whipped sweet cream and dainty bachelor button petals.

It was almost too much. Almost. A rare feast for the senses. The sight, the taste, the smell.  And, the brain. Memories were made and friends were made. A sense of community and like mindedness enveloped me. People from different parts and backgrounds and circumstance. People drawn together by a desire for real food, good health, knowledge, hard work, friendship and a sense of belonging. I found it here, this night, at this table...

tidbit...polenta and quinoa aren't recognized by spellcheck. Lame...get it together spellcheck!

For more information about this amazing farm and restaurant...

http://hellsbackbonegrill.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment