Friday, August 30, 2013

Slow Food...

Are you familiar with the term "Slow Food"? The following is from the "Slow Food USA" mission statement and overview...

Slow Food is an idea, a way of living and a way of eating. It is a global, grassroots movement with thousands of members around the world that links the pleasure of food with a commitment to community and the environment.

Slow Food is a non–profit, international, eco-gastronomic member-supported organization that was founded in 1989 by Carlo Petrini to counteract fast food and fast life, the disappearance of local food traditions and people’s dwindling interest in the food they eat, where it comes from, how it tastes and how our food choices affect the rest of the world.

Isn't this an interesting concept? An antidote to fast food...an organization devoted to clean eating and local eating. There are "Slow Food" chapters all over the world. The "farm mob" I participated in was organized by our local group chapter.
There is a lot of information about this movement online and I encourage you to check it out!

I've mentioned this before, but I do not eat fast food anymore. I don't want to eat fast food. It doesn't appeal to me on any level. I would go so far as to say that I think eating it would make me feel sick and weird and uncomfortable. 
I used to eat fast food. I really thought it was okay. It's not! There was a time when a double cheese burger from McDonald's really hit the spot! Not anymore. I feel about fast food the way I feel about Diet Coke. You just shouldn't consume it!
This does mean some lifestyle changes for sure. What do you do when you are traveling? What do you do if you are stranded in an airport or on a road trip. Well...you have to plan ahead and you have to pack your own food! I feel that I need to say this...it's not hard to do people. It's just a small learning curve and a different way of life!
Recently Hubs and I went on a little road trip and I did food planning as well as trip planning. We were only going away for the weekend so it was no big deal. I packed some of my kinda famous tuna sandwiches. I made delicious "everything" cookies...we packed bottled water and raw pecans, fresh fruit and even the cold brewed coffee that I'm in love with! Really, it's no big deal and takes the worry out of finding "the right kind" of places to eat while on the road.
So...what are the right kind of places to eat? Well, for us, it's finding local places that make the majority of their own food, source locally and have a high standard for the ingredients they use. 
Also, when I refer to "fast food" that also includes chain restaurants. It's really all just processed food, sourced from huge food outlets and feed lots. No thanks...

Today I had the pleasure of having lunch with some of my favorite peeps. Luckily there are several 
restaurants in most locales that fit my criteria!



It's a safe bet that a place looking like this does NOT serve fast food.



Purple doors and potting benches are usually a sign that you won't be getting McNuggets.


We decided to have a loooooong, leisurely lunch under the grape arbor. I'm pretty sure this is what lunch is supposed to look like. 


To whet our appetites ( yeah, like they needed whetting...) we ordered a flat bread appetizer. It was covered in artichoke hearts, caramelized onions and gooey, melty Havarti cheese. I promise it was better than a "pretzel bacon cheeseburger". 


I had a lightly dressed organic field greens salad and the house made crepe filled with herbed creamy cheese. Oh...and see the iced tea! Passion fruit and hibiscus herbal tea. Unsweetened, tart and refreshing. 
How much you ask? Sans the tea it was $9.00. C'mon...that's what you'd pay at the Taco Bell drive-thru! 




Another leafy fresh salad and a layered sandwich of turkey, bacon and avocado on a ciabatta bun. 

The food at this little local gem is affordable, locally sourced and organic. All the menu items are prepared fresh and by hand each day. The choices are simple, tasty, healthy and appealing to look at.
Shoot! I wanted to get a picture of the home made ice cream! Sorry...it sure was good, though!

How about that cookie recipe? You know...for the road!

These cookies do have sugar in them...of course it is CANE sugar. I DO make home baked goodies and homemade ice cream from time to time. This journey is about healthy, clean food and a better way of living. A good life includes a good cookie from time to time ;)

Everything Cookies
1 cup butter or coconut oil (I love the benefits of coconut oil)
1 cup packed brown cane sugar
1 cup white cane sugar
2 eggs (hopefully local and free-range)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups of organic unbleached flour
1 tsp. of baking soda
1/2 tsp. of salt
3 cups organic rolled oats
1/2 cup of semisweet or dark chocolate chips
1 cup of raisins or dried cranberries
1/2 cup raw pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
In a large bowl cream together butter and sugars until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Stir into the creamed mixture. Add the oats, chocolate chips, raisins and pecans one ingredient at a time. Drop by teaspoonful onto cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. 

This makes a very thick, stiff dough. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try these cookies soon! I love a good, everything cookie. I may add some coconut. Why? Because I'm a rebel. :)

    ReplyDelete