Saturday, August 24, 2013

Shrub

I've been so excited about this blog post! I can't wait to tell you about something really fun, healthy and delicious. It's a SHRUB!
I had not heard this word used in this context before. You know how sometimes you hear a new word or topic that interests you and then once you are aware of it you start hearing it more often? That's what happened to me when I heard about shrubs.
I have been reading the book "Cooked" by Michael Pollan and I jumped ahead to the chapter on fermentation. I am doing some research in hopes of making my Mothers "million dollar pickles". Once again I happened upon the term "shrub"!
For some reason I am totally being seduced by fermentation right now! Reading about it has been fascinating and intriguing. I'm not completely in the dark about the benefits of fermented food and probiotics. I know their value and have supplemented with probiotics for years. But, the more I read the more I'm convinced that we need some fermented foods in our diet.
I do like "Kombucha" tea although I have yet to brew my own. I have now added that to my short list.
Anyway...I read an article about shrubs and couldn't wait to give it a try. There are several reasons I'm excited about this...
We are not soda pop drinkers. I am proud to say I have been "Diet Coke" free for almost a decade. I am not going to sugar coat this. Soda pop is bad. I won't listen to any arguments about it. It's bad. I was utterly and completely addicted to Diet Coke. Yes, the first one in the morning was the most delicious. In fountain form from the convenience store it was superior to the can. I could not fill my car with gasoline without having an uncontrollable urge to fill myself with a large fountain pulled Diet Coke. I could not eat Mexican food without one. I poisoned myself for way too many years with Diet Coke and I have only bad things to say about it. Getting over my addiction was incredibly difficult. I "quit" Diet Coke many, many times over the years and then would fall off the wagon again. Finally, after an especially lousy flu bug over the Holidays I gave it up. It was hard. The cravings were uncomfortable and I had many triggers for wanting one. It wasn't easy but I knew I could NEVER taste it again. I had serious cravings for about 9 months. I finally had some acupuncture treatments for "addiction" and they helped immensely. I don't crave it anymore at all. At this point I have a complete aversion to it.
That being said...I do like sparkling water! My favorite drink is ice cold sparkling water with a squeeze of fresh lime....DELISH.
Okay...sorry, I got side-tracked with my Diet Coke rant...back to the shrub...
Here is a fun alternative to soda pop. I hear from many of my friends that their kids are exposed to soda pop almost constantly and it is very hard to monitor.  I am convinced that the best way to teach kids about real food is to involve them on many different levels. And so...the shrub.
It is ridiculously easy...

One part ripe fruit (berries and soft fleshed stone fruits work especially well)
One part sugar
One part apple cider vinegar

I did one cup of each and I happened to use luscious ripe local raspberries. I put the cup of raspberries into a wide mouth Mason jar.



I added one cup of cane sugar (when using sugar you know you need to use "cane" sugar. If not, chances are you are using GMO sugar...blech)


I mooshed these two ingredients up a bit to help dissolve the sugar.


I covered it and let it sit overnight to incorporate and break down the sugars and the fruit. It will do the same thing in 3 or 4 hours if you are in a hurry. (make sure it is just at room temperature)

In the morning I stirred and mashed it all together again to make sure all the sugar was dissolved. Then I added a cup of apple cider vinegar. I stirred it together once more before I strained the pretty pink liquid into a glass bottle. I used a fine mesh sieve and discarded the solids. (discarding at my house means the chickens got it!)


Remember...I only used a cup of each ingredient. Next time I will make more.

Now, the really cool part is that it will last for up to a year in your fridge! Of course I know we will finish it much sooner than that, but what a great way to use more of those fabulous ripe fruits we are enjoying.
To serve, just add 2 tablespoons of the shrub to a glass and add 8 ounces of sparkling water! Your kids will love it! Especially if they helped you make it!


I made a little bottle for Hubs and added a fresh raspberry. He LOVED it! He said...and I quote, "if anybody doesn't like that, they are crazy"! So, there you have it...if you don't like it you are crazy!
You really must try it...it really is yummy...there is just a bit of sugar per serving and the cider vinegar is so healthy for you...

I'm adding a link explaining some of the benefits of drinking apple cider vinegar...

http://www.rd.com/slideshows/8-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar/#slideshow=slide9

Oh...I wanted to mention that Hubs also thinks it would make a really fantastic cocktail or as an addition to sparkling wine! He's probably right!

(Two more to add to my list of unrecognized spellcheck words...probiotics and Kombucha)

No comments:

Post a Comment