Saturday, July 13, 2013

Catch of the day!

Each Friday morning during the summer months we pick up our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box. Every week it's like getting a surprise gift! I can't wait to see what's in it and start planning how we will prepare and eat it.

Just in case you aren't familiar with how a CSA works, I will give you a little info. Several local farmers are now offering a CSA program. Early in the year we purchase a "share" of the farmers projected crop. By paying early and upfront it helps the farmer with his planting and growing expenses for the year. Prices vary from farmer to farmer as do their options. Our farmer offers a 15 week share program. It is very reasonable and ends up costing us about $12.00 per week. Some of our local farmers grow in hoop houses or greenhouses all year long and offer some CSA's that run for much longer.

My weekly goal is to eat everything in our box! This has really broadened our clean food horizons. Often our farmer will include a recipe for something we may not be completely familiar with. I'm a little bit embarrassed to admit I had never eaten Swiss chard before it was in our box! I ended up making the most delicious omelette's with the chard. Now I look forward to the weeks it is included in our share.
One week our farmer included a sweet little basil plant. This week we got a little slab of amazing local cheese! Last week he included an heirloom dried bean variety called Anasazi. I made some pretty fabulous baked beans! I'm proud to say there have only been a couple of weeks in the last 2 years we didn't get around to eating something in our box. I didn't lose any sleep over it as it went directly to our brood of hens and I feel pretty darn good about that as well...

This week the farmer included a bag of "cooking greens". Hmmm...glad he included a recipe. Can't wait to try it out.

Cooking Greens Recipe

Chop cooking greens into one inch pieces. Mince one clove of garlic. Saute garlic 2-3 minutes in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add 2-3 tablespoons of chicken or vegetable stock. Add the cooking greens and cook for 5 minutes. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!




I'm also sharing a favorite beet recipe!

http://familyacupuncturist.blogspot.com/2010/06/brandts-beets.html

1 comment: