Sunday, July 14, 2013

Ride The Wave!

One morning I woke up with curly hair. That may not be exactly the truth...or, it might be! I'm not really sure. All I know is that my very, very straight hair is now curly! I didn't want curly hair. I liked my straight hair. I KNOW my straight hair. Me and my straight hair have lots of good memories. Regardless, it is now curly.

For the last couple of years I have tried my darnedest to keep it straight. It has been an uphill battle, an exercise in futility, an exhausting process of  hair product and heat. And still, it wants to curl. My bangs have especially frustrated me. Me and Superman have a similar curl on our foreheads.

A couple of weeks ago over coffee, I was whining pretty heavily about my lame curly hair to my adorable, excessively curly headed niece. Her curls are cool and sexy and voluptuous...not weird and lame like mine. She kindly listened to my ranting and didn't even roll her eyes! Instead...she offered me a solution...why not embrace that wave?! Huh???? Seriously?

Not only did she plant that curly headed seed...she told me exactly what to do going forward! She introduced me to some crazy movement called "no more poo"! (you know, as in SHAMPOO)! Now, I haven't exactly felt good about using shampoo over the years with all the scary and nasty chemicals, i.e. sodium lauryl or laureth sulfate. But, I hadn't really known what to do instead! Over the years everyone has tried the vinegar or baking soda methods. We all know how great that works! Ughhh...But little niece has done some serious research and "actions speak louder than words"...her hair is amazing!

It's okay folks...don't panic...You still shower and get your hair wet...but, who knew you could just use conditioner? I'm serious. You just work some conditioner through your hair and scalp, leave it in for a few and rinse as usual. The bonus for me? It enhances your curls and makes your hair healthy again. I've been told that over time it will just get better and better. I'm into week 2. I'm not chicken when it comes to trying new stuff like this! So far, I don't believe my hygiene has suffered in any way! Don't just take my word for it...Hubs is verifying that my hair isn't gross, oily or stinky at all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_poo

There is lots and lots of info on line about the "no poo" movement...(see, it's real!)

So now, as per niecey's instructions, I gently dry my hair with an old clean tee shirt after showering. Then I apply some product meant to enhance curls and dry with a diffuser! Oh, I did confide in my hairdresser about wanting to embrace my curl and she gave me a fabulous trim to enhance those newly embraced locks. (um...okay, I didn't confide in her about the no shampoo yet, but I probably will someday...or not). This is the product line my niece recommended to me for curly hair. So far, so good!

www.ouidad.com



The before...when I was unsuccessfully trying to keep curl out of my hair!

The after...riding the wave!

I feel so liberated!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment