Friday, July 12, 2013

Kickin' the Canning...

Since I'm still a novice canner (in my opinion anyway!) I thought I would share a couple of tips that helped me along the way...

The "Ball Blue Book of Canning" is like the bible of canning. It seems that all the recipes and info in this book have been scientifically tested. You know, so you don't give your friends and family botulism and such. Canning is super easy and fun...but, you need to follow best practices. Obviously your bottles and equipment need to be sterilized and you need to process for the correct amount of time. (I have to add an additional 10 or 15 minutes because of altitude). But, equally important is using the correct measurements. Yes...I know 6 cups of sugar to make raspberry jam seems like a lot! No...you can't use less or a substitute. Remember...botulism?! Oh...and I can't lie...I'm a little disappointed that the "Ball BLUE Book of Canning" is no longer blue! What's up with that?

If you decide to make something decadent and delicious with liquor...no need to spend money for top shelf booze. The cheaper the better when canning... in my opinion ;)

Start collecting bottles. I have a problem with this. I LOVE jars and bottles. This year I came across the most adorable vintage looking blue canning jars made by Ball. I refrained from loading my cart with them, but it was hard to look the other way! Pretty sure I will have a few of those in my collection before the season is over! If you share your yummy creations with your friends, tell them to please return the bottle if they ever want to get any more of the stuff you make!

I promise I'm not promoting "Ball"...in fact I think "Ball" and "Kerr" are the same company these days. There are some other awesome brands from Europe. Weck and Kilner make the most gorgeous jars, bottles and equipment. I'm totally in love with the looks of those Euro brands, but being the novice I am, I have had trouble getting them to seal properly...

I came across these cool dissolvable labels and fell in love with them. They aren't bad looking, hold up well for a season (until washing the empty bottle) and they completely disappear with NO residue as soon as they hit the water!

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Blue-Book-Guide-Preserving/dp/0972753702









No comments:

Post a Comment