Thursday, July 25, 2013

Locals only!

I rarely eat out at restaurants anymore. Researching and reading about our broken food system makes it easy for me NOT to eat in chain or fast food restaurants. I don't miss it at all anymore.
It's exciting that there are several locally sourced, mostly organic restaurants opening up in our city. Many are partnering with local farmers and organic farmers for shares of their all natural meats and produce. The quality and freshness of the menus are excellent and often change seasonally. 
Although Hubs and I do most of our eating at home these days, it's nice to have a few "go to" food establishments we can feel good about.
There is a quaint and quirky little cafe I frequent a couple times a month. Their menu consists of a light lunch fare only. They also have an amazing and extensive supply of exotic loose leaf tea blends as well as an enticing coffee menu. They experiment with different combinations and concoctions of these teas and coffees.
A year or so ago their drink special was called the "purple haze". It turned out to be a violet mocha! I was intrigued and ordered this special. Oh my! It was amazing! I order it now on a regular basis and I don't know of any place else in town that makes this delicious combination. I honestly wasn't sure what to expect and thought maybe it would be weird or perfumey tasting. Nope...it was more like a chocolate covered berry. Yum...
Everything on their menu is delicious and I chalk it up to being fresh and clean. I know several local organic farmers supply the greens and veggies used in this cafe. They also have an eclectic menu of daily baked goods. Lavender shortbread, raw chocolate mixed with seeds and nuts and berries, coconut candies, chai tea or matcha muffins. I have never tasted anything in this cafe that wasn't amazing, slightly unusual and totally satisfying. 
I can also tell by eating this food that the owner is passionate about preparing and serving something she is proud of and feels good about!
These are the kinds of places I can comfortably visit on occasion and enjoy my meal out.




A fresh seasonal veggie wrap with homemade hummus and salsa for the chips. It sounds simple, but there is nothing simple about the way it tastes!


A whole grain grilled cheese sandwich with organic and seasonal salad. Served with a homemade cilantro dressing. Nothing ordinary about this at all!


Funky and fabulous beverage! Chocolate mint iced tea. Peppermint tea with a splash of chocolate syrup. Only slightly sweet and tall, cold and surprisingly refreshing.

This menu inspires me and gives me ideas for my own kitchen. Simple, fresh and seasonal, you just can't go wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment